Continuing our ongoing series w/ 101 Apparel,
today we’re proud to help unveil
their newest T-shirt & DJ mix collaboration -
this time w/ an exclusive set from the world-reknowned,
Philadelphia-based, Rich Medina
from his new mix he’s calling A Dance Turned Into Romance.
Here’s the how & why, from Rich himself:
“When I was approached to be the next DJ on the 101 Apparel roster, I committed immediately. I was also quickly clear that I wanted to do a mix that was not only universal conceptually, but also unique to the perspectives of the brilliant DJs who’d done 101 Apparel mixes before me. I firmly believe that just about every person who’s ever danced with someone at a party, club, or musical setting of almost any sort has experienced attraction, or felt romantic. It could be just one song in the course of a night, but that song can often lead to lasting friendships, intimate relations , and in some cases, families. Many who’ve studied US club culture also have many romantic notions about the Paradise Garage and Loft era in NYC where legendary pioneers Larry Levan and David Mancuso, along with their pioneering brothers and sisters, laid down the fundamental blueprint that many consider “The Gold Standard” for club concepts and atmosphere. For me, music in and of itself is love, and love songs don’t always come in the form of a ballad. Songs written in the spirit of love and romance as the theme are some of the best “feeling” songs any of us have ever experienced, and I put this mix together with that in mind. I can only hope that you enjoy “A Dance Turned Into Romance” as much as I enjoyed putting it together. Bless up, and rock rock on”.
- RICH MEDINA
You can stream & download the first 12 minutes of the hour-long mix,
before supporting the t-shirt & mixtape
via the link provided below.
Also, included after the jump,
is a quick mini-doc feature
from Fuse‘s Crate Diggers series
interviewing Rich in his element
& discussing his home record collection.
1. The Jones Girls – A Dance Turned Into Romance
2. 4Hero – Naima
3. Chic – Soup For One
4. Sylvia Striplin – Give Me Your Love
5. Jeanette “Lady” Day – Come Let Me Love You
6. Change – Hold Tight
7. Stephanie Mills & Teddy Pendergrass – Two Hearts
8. Sergio Mendes – The Real Thing
9. Willie Hutch – Tell Me Why Our Love Turned Cold
10. Syreeta & Stevie Wonder – To Know You Is To Love You
11. Harvey Mason – Grooving You
12. Creative Source – Who Is He & What Is He To You
13. Camille Yarborough – Take Yo Praise
14. Tavares – Never Had A Love Like This Before
15. Bernard Wright – Who Do You Love?
16. Carl Anderson – Buttercup
17. Rose Royce – Ooh Boy
18. The Crusaders – Keep That Same Old Feeling
19. Sade – By Your Side (Cottonbelly’s Fola Mix)